|ACLD Home Page | Research Center | Catalog Search | About the Collection|
Blueprints > U.S. Post Office, Basement Details & L.O. Sections, Drawing No. 317
U.S. Post Office, Basement Details & L.O. Sections, Drawing No. 317
This blueprint, "Basement Details & L.O. Sections, Drawing No. 317," was drawn for the construction, between May 1908 and March 1911, of the U. S. Post Office in Gainesville.
In 1857 Col. Tillman Ingram built the first county courthouse in Gainesville, the same year he paid only $30 for a piece of land at the south end of Gainesville's Southeast 1st Street. He built his home, a mansion called "Oak Hall," on that property. What eventually happened to Col. Ingram is unknown, but after the Civil War his home was supposedly the local headquarters for carpetbaggers and, later, the U. S. Land Office. When the site was chosen for the new Post Office, Oak Hall was moved south to 310 Southeast 1st Street. Over the following years, Oak Hall was a hotel (Theodore Roosevelt supposedly spent the night there), a rooming house, and a meeting place for the Women's Christian Temperance Union and the Woodmen of the World. The building was demolished in the summer of 1960.
After more than 50 years of service, a new Post Office was built. For several years demolition was a threat to the old building, but concerned citizens worked hard to save it. It was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1979 and has been the home of the Hippodrome State Theater since 1980. It is one of the finest examples of the Beaux Arts Classical style in the State of Florida.
All of the Post Office blueprints are stamped "James Knox Taylor, Supervising Architect, Treasury Department." The building is located at 25 Southeast 2nd Place.
(click image to view larger size)