|ACLD Home Page | Research Center | Catalog Search | About the Collection|
Education > Tebeau School, North Side
Tebeau School, North Side
Miss Margaret Tebeau, along with her friend, Mrs. James T. (Sarah) Thomas, founded a private school for girls in Gainesville in 1873. The school was originally on the north side of the Courthouse Square (the north side of present-day University Avenue, between Main Street and East 1st Street), and later moved to the site seen in this photograph. The Tebeau School served the community for more than 60 years. It was closed in 1936 and the Holy Trinity Episcopal Church operated it as a nursery school until 1949 when Alachua County bought the building. It was razed in 1951. This building, the second home of the Tebeau School, was located on the southwest corner of the intersection of South Main Street and Southwest 2nd Avenue. The school faced east. The photographer was standing at the northwest corner of the school when this photograph was made. The location is the site of the Alachua County Courthouse Criminal Justice Center, which opened January 5, 2004.
(click image to view larger size)