|ACLD Home Page | Research Center | Catalog Search | About the Collection|
Persons > Haffie and Mary, Tebeau Graduates
Haffie and Mary, Tebeau Graduates
The Tebeau School was founded in Gainesville in 1873 by Miss Margaret ("Maggie") Tebeau, along with her aunt, Mrs. Annie Thomas. It was a private school for girls and was quite successful for over 60 years. Hundreds of young women from the area received an education that helped them to be contributing members of society. Certainly they also made friends that lasted through their lifetimes, in those days when people often lived in the same community all of their lives. The names written on the photograph are Haffie Irwin and Mary Cannon. Alachua County bought the Tebeau building in 1949 and it was razed in 1951. It was located on the southwest corner of the intersection of South Main Street and Southwest 2nd Avenue and faced east. It is the site of the 2003 Alachua County Courthouse Criminal Justice Center.
(click image to view larger size)