|ACLD Home Page | Research Center | Catalog Search | About the Collection|
Sports & Recreation > Tebeau Doubles
Miss Maggie Tebeau founded the Tebeau School as a private school for girls in Gainesville in 1873, and the school continued in operation for 63 years. This is a photograph of Tebeau students playing tennis on the school courts. Tennis was first introduced in the United States in 1874, and many young women were enjoying the sport by the end of the 19th century (although the idea was still prevalent that competition among women made them less feminine). Apparently Miss Tebeau disagreed with that idea. She installed courts so her young students could play. The school was located on the southwest corner of the intersection of South Main Street and Southwest 2nd Avenue and faced east. It is the site of the 2003 Alachua County Courthouse Criminal Justice Center.
(click image to view larger size)